Sunday 18 January 2015

Getting into my stride


My mum taught me how to knit. I remember her teaching me while we were on one of our long-haul flights to/from England. I remember the little red needles (I wish I had them still) and getting my fingers all knotted up in the yarn. We used to make little squares using left over wool and then take them to the local charity shop where they would be knitted together to make blankets. 

For a long time then I didn't pick up any needles... but now I have well and truly re-discovered the love I had for knitting when I was a child. I started again when I was pregnant - almost like an instinct kicked in to make something special for my little angel...and suddenly every woman in my family was beavering away at a little project for the new arrival. There is real pleasure in making something for someone else... it also helps satisfaction levels that making things for small people takes a fraction of the time it does for us biggies.

Now I'm really enjoying learning more about the micro-culture around knitting and yarn... connecting with people far and wide and sharing this love for the handmade. It's such a positive space in my life - I'm really excited for the (long) list of projects that I have ahead of me this year. I've even started taking it with me to work to do a few rows in my lunch hour!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment